Tuesday, April 22, 2008
I've got a fuzzbox and I'm going to use it
Part 3 of Soundway's deep dig into Nigeria's seventies sounds is unleashed on May 12 - hot on the heels of the Disco Funk Special and the Nigeria Special 2CD/4LP extravaganza. Its a flipside to the HighLife and Afrobeat documented elsewhere. At its core a group of young bands fusing fuzz guitar, psychedelia and groove-based rock. Hendrix was definitely in the air and Cream's Ginger Baker fell in love with Nigeria, making a number of trips to jam with various bands.
Some time back I put together the final compilation in the African Serenades series entitled Afropsychedlicdaze which mined the same area. Much of that compilation was inspired by Uchenna over at the comb&razor site who also gets a big shout out on the liner notes here. In addition to picking up a copy of this new Soundway compilation check out two "Flashback" compilations featured by Uchenna some time back.
FLASHBACK VOL 1
FLASHBACK VOL 2
Nigeria Rock Special: Psychedelic Afro-Rock and Fuzz Funk in 1970s Nigeria features the following songs:
2. More Bread To The People-The Action 13
3. In The Jungle-The Hygrades [Instrumental]
4. Odenigbo-The Wings
5. Eniaro-Ofo The Black Company
6. Ku Mi Da Hankan-The Elcados
7. Kenimania-Mono Mono
8. Finger Toe-Tabukah 'X'
9. Acid Rock-The Funkees
10. Cotocun Gba Gounke-Colomach
11. Another Man's Thing-Joe King Kologbo & His Black Sound
12. Freaking Out-Question Mark
13. Igba Alusi-Original Wings
14. Omoba D'Eru Ri-Tunji Oyelana
15. Chant To Mother Earth-BLO
Highly recommended! Buy with confidence.
at 8:43 AM