Wednesday, June 14, 2006

50 Years of TPOK Jazz



June 2006 marks the 50th anniversary of the establishment of TPOK Jazz and to mark the event I have a wonderful clip of Franco playing guitar and singing Kinshasa Mokambo. He left a legacy of more than 150 LPs and was taken from us by illness at the age of fifty one. "I am the only African musician to have lived out my career for thirty years without ever leaving the orchestra that I created or the style that was the trademark of the group. I am proud and I thank the Lord for having given me such a full life" he declared.

Biography
Links

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to see and hear some Franco. Too bad so much of his material is basically totally unavailable these days. His legacy deserves some polishing up. Franco is always good to hear when I feel a little down. Thanks for the posting Matsuli.

James Kirchmer said...

great artist, great picture, great video, GREAT POST!!!

Anonymous said...

KILO OMANJE.UK

Imagine that Franco and the TPOK JAZZ were still alive now?please if you have more clips,keep them
properly coz our grandchildren will still apriciate what we listened to..werason and the likes
cant and will never beat this!!!sorry!they are the passing clouds!